This is a blog of my Katimavik experience between November 2005 and August 2006 while I live and work for 3 months in each of the following places: Alfred, ON; Shawinigan, QC; Stephenville, NF.

Monday, February 20, 2006

First Day of Work

So I started my Shawinigan work placement today. I work at École St. George which is a primary school.

This morning I was left...alone...with a grade 4 class whose teacher had to go do something else in another classroom. She stopped in periodically but for the most part it was just me. I understood about 1/4 of what the students tried to say to me and it was a most frustrating ordeal. One of the main things they did was correct some written work they'd done and kept coming to me and asking me if it was right. I am the LAST person they should be asking about grammar.

The afternoon found me without anything to do. Apparently I'm supposed to just go around and ask teachers if they need help with anything, but when they're in class that's a bit difficult. I started organizing the library but then a class came in. Eventually I ended up helping in a kindergarten class. I was still pretty useless but it was better then wandering around aimlessly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home