This is a blog of my Katimavik experience between November 2005 and August 2006 while I live and work for 3 months in each of the following places: Alfred, ON; Shawinigan, QC; Stephenville, NF.

Saturday, March 18, 2006

Ice Climbing


Today we went to Trois-Rivières where there was supposed to be an ice climbing event. When we first arrived we though we were either at the wrong place, or had severely underestimated the event. There was clearly a place for ice climbing, but no one was there and there were only a few people walking around, or skate skiing (kinda like cross-country but with narrower skis and a more skate like motion). Amelie and Chantal went to check it out and found out that we could go skate skiing while we waited for the ice climbing to start.

Skate skiing was fun, but as most skiing quite challenging. I spent most of the time being too afraid to fall down to get much speed or try out the small hill, since the one time I did fall it was a huge challenge to get back up.

When we were done ice climbing was ready so we put on our harnesses on, and our boots, and attached the spikes to the bottom and went out. It was fun even though it was cold. I was the second last person to go and I didn't make it all the way to the top, yes I was too chicken, but it was also really cold and I did not feel quite safe up there with half frozen hands and feet holding me up. It probably wouldn't have made a difference anyway, but that's my excuse.



PHOTOS: TOP Me climing the ice. Sadly that's as far as I got BOTTOM Our group after we were all done climing under the ice.
NOTE: Photos are from Becky's camera as the battery in mine was dead :(

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, poor Darlene. Don't worry about it. Fear is a standard response designed by nature to keep you alive. Listining to it is usually wise. Besides at least you tried, the only failure in life is giving up completly. As long as you learn something from each new experiance all is good.

4:26 p.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home